Menopause affects individuals differently. For some, the symptoms of menopause are barely noticeable, while for others, it can be mentally, emotionally, and physically disabling. Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) can offer several benefits for women experiencing menopause. It involves the use of medications containing hormones like estrogen and progesterone to supplement the body’s declining hormone levels.
What is HRT treatment and are all options the same?
What is HRT Treatment?
HRT treatment refers to medication that introduces hormones at a lower level to relieve the symptoms of menopause. During menopause, your body stops producing estrogen; HRT treatment is used to replace this hormone, which is responsible for regulating the development and physiology of the reproductive system.
Types of Hormone Therapy
There are two types of estrogen therapy:
- Systemic Hormone Therapy: It is in the form of pills, creams, skin patches, spray, gel, or ring form. It contains a comparatively higher estrogen dose, typically absorbed through the blood into the body. Systemic hormone therapy is an effective method for relieving menopausal symptoms.
- Low Dose Vaginal Products: It comes in the form of a ring, cream, or tablet. It reduces the amount of estrogen the body absorbs. Low-dose vaginal products are used to treat urinary and vaginal symptoms of menopause.
Benefits of HRT Treatment
Doctors recommend the use of HRT treatment since its advantages outweigh the risks. Some of the benefits include:
1. Relieves Menopause Complications
The levels of estrogen produced in women peak during puberty. As time goes by, the amount of estrogen gradually reduces until it stops when women reach menopause. At the onset of menopause, several symptoms manifest; these include:
- Excessive sweating
- Hot flashes
- Difficulty sleeping
HRT treatment is the best remedy for these symptoms. The treatment keeps all physiological functions optimal by replacing the estrogen that the body ceased to produce. This makes the experience less uncomfortable. A highlight of the treatment is that it dramatically reduces the troublesome hot flashes.
2. Reduce Vaginal Dryness
Aside from playing a role in the development of the reproductive system, estrogen influences the skeletal and adipose systems. A decline in estrogen level alters the tissues, PH balanced, and lining of your vagina. The changes result in:
- Vaginal dryness
- Atrophic vaginitis- Inflammation of vaginal tissues that results from irritation and dryness
- Vulvar atrophy- A medical condition that results in urinary incontinence, soreness, and dryness
All these conditions can easily be cured by hormone replacement therapy.
3. Relieves Ovary Complications
The ovaries are in charge of producing estrogen. If they fail to produce estrogen for one reason or another, HRT treatment is the best alternative. Hormone replacement therapy is also used to prevent early menopause symptoms if the ovaries are removed.
4. Prevent Fractures or Bone Loss
Systemic estrogen helps ease bone-thinning disease referred to as osteoporosis. However, new medications are used to prevent reverse bone loss; thus, doctors might complement these with the HRT treatment.
PearlPAK is Different from HRT
HRTs use a different type of estrogen. While HRT medications have been shown to decrease hot flashes, night sweats, and other menopausal symptoms, they do not address brain health.
Is PearlPAK Right for You?
Hormone replacement therapy can result in different outcomes for women. Take our online survey for a free consultation with one our of board-certified consulting physicians. We will help determine a treatment plan that is right for you. Contact us today to begin your menopause wellness journey.